Today we present the LIFE CERSUDS project, a European upcycling project coordinated by the Institute of Ceramic Technology (ITC-AICE) of the Jaume I University of Castellón.
What problem do you want to solve?
The main objective of LIFE CERSUDS is to improve the capacity of cities to adapt to Climate Change and to promote the use of SDGs and green infrastructure. To this end, a demonstrator of an urban sustainable drainage system (SUDS) has been designed and implemented. This demonstrator consists of a permeable surface whose skin will be formed by an innovative system, of low environmental impact, based on the use of ceramic tiles with low commercial value.
- Reduce flooding due to torrential rains by increasing permeable surfaces in cities.
- Reuse water stored during the rainy season for use in periods of drought.
- Reduce runoff volumes and peak flows that end up reaching the sewer system and consequently the treatment plant or the receiving medium.
- Integrate rainwater treatment into the urban landscape.
- Protect water quality, reducing the effects of diffuse pollution and thus avoiding problems in treatment plants.
- Reduce CO2 emissions associated with the manufacture of paving materials, as the material used for this purpose is ceramic material in stock and with low commercial value.
- Offer a quality aesthetic finish avoiding the formation of puddles increasing the comfort and safety of the streets in rainy weather.
- Develop a ceramic system of sustainable drainage with greater environmental efficiency for urban areas.
- Demonstrate that this ceramic system of sustainable drainage is valid for the rehabilitation of light transit areas and allows better management of stormwater in areas with certain geoeconomic conditions.
- Reduce the ceramic material with low commercial value and which is currently stored in companies, giving it a new commercial outlet and increasing the profits of the industry.
- Ensure its transferability beyond the completion of the project through training activities and the development of a business plan of the solution aimed at both stakeholders and the target audience of the solution and to help raise awareness and replicability.
- Generate accurate technical documentation for replication in other cities of permeable pavements based on demonstrator principles.