(Green Building Council Spain, or Council for Sustainable Building in Spain) is the main sustainable building organization in our country. Established in 2008, they are a benchmark in the transformation towards a sustainable model in the building sector. They are part of a broad, growing and diverse global network, with a presence in more than 70 countries and 36,000 members representing the entire value chain: World Green Building Council, WorldGBC.
On this occasion we present the report "Building a better world
" which explains the influence that building has on the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). As they explain, "with the publication of this report, GBCe wants to raise awareness in the construction sector in the area of the SDGs. It wants building owners, architects, planners and key managers of the construction sector to better understand the challenges we face, and encourages all parties involved to deepen and reflect further on the impact of the SDGs in their spheres of influence. "
Next, a series of statements taken from the report are provided in order to understand the building-ODS relationship:
- SDG 3: WHO estimates that polluted air kills more people in the world than polluted water and tropical diseases.
- SDG 7: 40% of the total energy consumed in Europe is due to the construction industry.
- SDG 11: urban areas represent 3% of the Earth's total surface area, yet they are responsible for 70% of total emissions and 60% of resource consumption.
- SDG 12: At least a third of global resources are consumed within the built environment.
- SDG 13: More than a third of global greenhouse gas emissions are caused by the construction sector."
These statements are not very positive but within this report you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Accessing, reading, understanding, synthesizing and disseminating high-quality reports is an easy and personal way to support the energy transition. We only have 10 years to mitigate Climate Change
within predictable limits, we have a historical responsibility.
If you would like to publish in the Sustainable Construction Agenda, do not hesitate to contact us.